"...insights for scaleups"
HEADLINES: (WARNING: If you don't like politics, I would skip)
|Going outside the established duopoly is hard, but who's better qualified than entrepreneurs to do so?|
|Entrepreneur Martin Babinec, Independent Candidate for US Congress|
Procrastinate on Purpose -- this is the clever title of Rory Vaden's latest book outlining what he calls the "5 Permissions" you can give yourself (like "ignore") to dramatically reduce your workload. Go right to page 84 to see a useful list of nice ways to say "no." And I love his story, just prior to this list, where he describes being told no by someone five times, but in gracious ways, and he's now an even bigger fan of this person. Page 71 outlines several ways to eliminate work - the first being to stop making re-decisions! My team just suffered from this very situation - what a waste of time. GPro and book club members will receive his book next week. Then come hear Rory keynote our Growth Summit in Dallas Oct 25 - 26 - that hour will save you thousands.
Procrastinate Tax Reporting -- in the US Sept 15 is the very last day you can file your corporate tax returns. I hate everything about the laborious process - the time, expense, intrusion - I wonder how we ended up in such a convoluted mess and if anyone can fix our screwed up tax system - OK, that's my rant. So, as they say, bad things happen when good people don't do anything. However, entrepreneur Martin Babinec is doing something - he's running for US Congress as an Independent on his own Upstate Jobs Party. Please read on...
Founder of Trinet Makes Independent Run for Congress -- Martin Babinec founded and built one of the largest PEOs (Professional Employer Organization) in the US - a company he took public two years ago at a value over $1 billion. I first met Martin as my "student" in the MIT/Inc./YEO Birthing of Giants executive program I founded and hosted at MIT (now called EMP). The first thing I noticed? He looks like Bill Gates. Everyone in class did a double take when Martin walked into class. Anyway, I became so impressed with his entrepreneurial vision and talent that Gazelles signed on as a client and we've been "employed" by Trinet for almost two decades.
He Has the Momentum -- Starting with zero name recognition 6 months ago, Martin is already polling at 21% and gaining on both the Democrat and Republican candidates. More importantly, there is a huge number of undecideds. Martin is fully staffed and is all in for the final two months of the campaign. Noted Martin in an email to me last week:
Don't Procrastinate -- Martin is doing something - at least consider doing something by supporting him. I donated and hope you will too - all the funds are going straight into advertising to fuel his momentum - http://babinecforcongress.com/donate/. Below is more information on Martin's background, why he's running, why an independent bid, etc.
Martin Babinec Background Highlights:
- Moved family to home town of Little Falls NY in 1999 - commuted to Silicon Valley for 11 years while still running TriNet.
- Struck by how Upstate NY has the right assets, but a dearth of venture backed startups. As the best talent leaves, families get broken up.
- Started non profit Upstate Venture Connect in 2010 - mission is to connect 1st time entrepreneurs in new industries with the resources who can help them across the entire Upstate NY region. Helped launch 6 seed capital funds, 3 college accelerator programs and private capital funded StartFast Venture Accelerator. UVC has also created region wide community calendar and startup resource map - both of which are deployed at community websites throughout the region. Total UVC network now numbers 10,000+ supporters who share the vision of helping the next generation of entrepreneurs in new industries.
Why run for office?
- Frustrated with hearing politicians talk about creating jobs and then keep repeating the failed corporate welfare strategies of the past as they hope for a different result.
- Congressional role offers leadership opportunity to influence other policy makers, as well as community and business leaders in the District.
- Goal: Shift discussion and resources towards fostering the environment that supports homegrown innovation companies over business attraction - retaining our best talent who create new things also drives job growth allowing us to keep our families together.
Running as an independent:
- 2016 election cycle showing strong voter frustration with traditional parties and candidates.
- NY State election law offers both a path for 3rd party candidates to get on the ballot as well as the potential to influence political discourse by forming a new special interest based party - Upstate Jobs Party with a mission to engage voters, community leaders and businesses to support initiatives and policies that cut across imaginary boundaries to help entrepreneurs get connected to the resources they need.
- With every independent that gets elected, more are likely to follow.
How can people help?
- Out of district supporters welcome. Support through social media, referrals, contributions and more - visit BabinecForCongress.com/volunteer for description of opportunities.
- Spread the word to any friends with ties to Upstate NY - particularly in the middle of the state as District 22 covers an area roughly Utica to just east of Syracuse and south to Binghamton.
Experienced a bad hire lately? Planning to hire new employees soon? If so, it's time to learn and implement the Topgrading Methodology. Topgrading is the most proven screening, interviewing and employee development methodology. Get a preview of the process by downloading the Topgrading 12 Steps here. For more information contact Juan Gonzalez at email@example.com or call him at (512) 773 5465
Fortune Summits 2016
Dallas, TX - Oct 25-26, 2016
London, Nov 9
Scaling Up Business Growth Workshops
Have Big Plans to Execute in 2016? Learn how to use the proven Rockefeller Habits 2.0 tools and strategies to scale up smarter.
Orange County, CA - Sept 20, 2016
OKC, OK - Sept 22, 2016
Honolulu, HI - Sep 29, 2016
Columbus, OH - Oct 6, 2016
Los Angeles, CA - Oct 6, 2016
San Francisco, CA - Oct 13, 2016
Calgary, AB - Oct 13, 2016
Houston, TX - Oct 13, 2016
Toronto, ON - Oct 18, 2016
Vancouver, BC - Oct 20, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA - Nov 2, 2016
WA DC - Nov 2, 2016
Raleigh, NC - Nov 1, 2016
Montreal, QB - Nov 3, 2016
Ontario, CA - Nov 3, 2016
Waukesha, WI - Nov 3, 2016
Memphis, TN - Nov 3, 2016
Amsterdam - Nov 8, 2016
London, UK - Nov 9, 2016
Austin, TX - Nov 10, 2016
Surrey, BC - Nov 14, 2016
New England - Nov 16, 2016
Charlotte, NC - Nov 17, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO - Nov 16, 2016
Seattle, WA - Nov 17, 2016
Dallas, TX - Dec 7, 2016
Denver, CO - Dec 7, 2016
Fort Lauderdale, FL - Dec 12, 2016
San Diego, CA - Dec 14, 2016
Philadelphia, PA - Jan 10, 2017
Have you ever wondered if your company would be a good candidate to work with an executive growth coach? Click here to watch Gazelles International President Keith Cupp describes the four most important attributes of successful clients.
And if you're interested in becoming a world-class certified Gazelles International coach, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Align Software puts everyone on the Same Page - Literally! See, in real time every person in your organization and how they are progressing on their priorities - alongside how they Align to the Company Priorities! Scale Up your Rockefeller Habits implementation with www.alignwithgazelles.com - on your computer and on your phone.
Better Book Club -- What's your team reading? Increase your books read per team member. Easy, Proven, and in the Cloud at http://www.BetterBookClub.com.