"...keeping you great" Ten Minutes with the Growth Guy
Jack Welch's advice to CEOs -- Mark Lancaster, CEO of Employment Group, shared with me some advice from Jack Welch, the retired CEO of GE. When asked if he had any final advice for CEOs, Welch said "you're the last person to know!" This is why it's SO critical for top executives to proactively talk to customers and employees on a weekly basis. BTW, Mark also just sent me the latest photo from his 4th Quarter "Rockin" theme -- his team dressed as Elvis! I'm hoping they'll repeat their performance in Vegas next week at the Summit!
People Formula -- with 100 corporate employees and 350 self employed drivers, Michael Caito, CEO of Restaurant on the Run, has a formula for his people process: job description (accountabilities, metrics, and competencies) + Topgrading + On-Boarding (90 day training plan, 90 day goals, mentor team) + performance review + development plan!
Caito's Corporate U -- Michael's firm has also recently launched a corporate university which contains the curriculum that drives the development plans of his people. It especially focuses on leadership development.
Virtual Bench delivers Director of People -- using the Topgrading process for building a "virtual bench" Caito had in his talent pipeline for 2 years Robin McNatt, who is his new Director of People. In charge of Business Development for Executive Education at the University of California Irvine, when Caito was finally able to hire this position, he contacted Robin to apply. She not only applied but referred in other applicants. Going through an exhaustive Topgrading process Robin ended up being their clear cut favorite.
Planning to hire someone in the next 12 months? Once-a-year Geoff Smart leads a one-day Topgrading public workshop -- November 6 in Denver -- why Denver? That's where he lives. It's the best way for us to get a day out of his busy schedule. Here's a link to the workshop.
313 CEOs -- Geoff Smart, at his workshop, is going to share information from his two year "StreetSmart Hiring Study" -- see detailed information about this study which included analyzing the performance of 313 CEOs in attracting and retaining A-Players under DETAILS below.
Keep them fed -- Mike Faith, CEO & President of Headsets.com, followed up my earlier Insight about firms serving employees breakfast noting "We've had organic fruit and bagels delivered for about 7 years now, for all our staff to enjoy. We use www.fruitguys.com -- they're making the food delivery model work."
$2k in fruit per week -- Rob Robson, CEO of Australia's only national freshcut provider (ready to eat fresh salads, stirfry, watermelons, mangoes, etc) OneHarvest shared with me during my Rockefeller Habits tour down under last week that he employs roughly 600, many of whom are Samoans battling a high incident rate of diabetes. To deal with this challenge, he began providing unlimited fresh fruit for his employees to eat. The added benefit -- they won't eat bad, aging fruit, which reinforces the need for them to produce high quality food products for their own customers! Win-Win.
- ghSMART has been working on the "StreetSmart Hiring Study" for 2 years. We hope you will find it extremely valuable and entertaining. It is the largest study ever done to identify a solution to every manager's #1 problem-unsuccessful hiring, an affliction which we call "hiringitis."
- Whether you are a private equity investor, CEO of a Fortune 500 company, or front line manager, you or somebody you manage is suffering from hiringitis. It is costing you career and financial success.
- We interviewed over 20 billionaires (the most billionaires we ever interviewed for one study), over a dozen Fortune 500 CEOs, about 30 private equity investors, and completed a project with a University of Chicago research team which analyzed the performance of 313 CEOs-all to find out how to dramatically improve your ability to hire or invest in A Players. How to find them? How to screen for them? How to pick out an A Player out of a pool of similar-looking candidates? How to seal the deal? The stories, advice and actionable insights are extremely powerful.
- Some early highlights of the study are featured for you in this article, which we published in the May 28, 2007 issue of Buyouts magazine.
- The entire "StreetSmart Hiring Study" is now for sale. It is $5k for an enterprise license of the study to circulate to your companies. 100% satisfaction guaranteed. As an owner of this StreetSmart Hiring Study, you will automatically receive early release copies of our forthcoming book StreetSmart Hiring: A Solution to Every Manager's #1 Problem when it launches in 2008. Be the first person on your block to benefit from the insights in this Study and book, and work to solve your #1 problem affecting your career and financial success. Randy Street is taking orders now for the "StreetSmart Hiring Study" and/or pre-orders of our book at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!